Friday, February 17, 2012

Afraid of the ocean????


Many many people (also many of my friends) are afraid of the ocean. It can be really difficult to get into the water and have the focus you need to learn how to surf if you are worried about what is around you and not focused on learning. The fear of the ocean can be from many things, such as big waves, deep dark water, sharks and seaweed monsters. :)
When I started surfing I was afraid of the big waves, it’s difficult if you are not used to being in the ocean. I grew up in the mountains and am not comfortable with the big waves. When I first started I stayed near the shore because you do not need big waves when you are learning. Playing with the foam and learning how to pop up in the broken waves is really fun.  Now that I am getting better I can go out farther from the shore into the big waves. Of course I am still afraid of the wall of water but not like before. I can tell you that if you are afraid of the ocean and you try with passion you can really change your way to enjoy the ocean. In addition to learning this way, I learned to have more respect for the ocean and its power.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment